Saturday, February 23, 2008

update from this past week

written just a few days ago...

Hello!
So i wish i had the time to sit down and write about everything i've been experiencing in this past 2 wks because there has been SO SO much.. but i don't, and i know you do not have the time to read it.  So in turn, I just want to let you know that everything has been incredible!  I really can't even explain it.. but i have met some of the most amazing people on the road.  We have been to Austin, Dallas, and Ft. Worth so far (currently at Texas Christian University).  

When i receive emails from people who've i've talked with and shared the IC story with.. that go a little something like this... "The opportunity to help people in absolute dire straits was always very appealing to me.  As a civilian, I have seen poverty in Central America.  These experiences have helped me be a better teacher and given me an incredible appreciation for life in the US, however I have an unquenchable desire to go to other countries to understand their issues and develop/assist in workable solutions.  At the end of the day, we have more in common as humanity, that we can imagine." ... then I know that I am out here doing what I am doing for a reason that becomes so real.  I am 100% trying to impact each person in the littlest way, and it is encouraging to hear from some people that they get it.  They understand.

We went to one HS last week where we had 3 assemblies throughout the day and showed the film to over 2,700 students!  not to mention that this was actually the very first assembly that they've had at their school.  Students went around at lunch and asked their peers to write letters to their senators for continued support in Uganda.  The power of a letter is huge, and they understood that.

Finally, a story that continues to blow my mind.. I was hanging out this past weekend with a group of college kids after a screening.  The next morning we ended up going to brunch together.  I was talking with one girl named Steph, she was asking where I graduated from.  I said Northwestern.  Then she proceeds to ask me: "Do you know a girl named Alyssa Barr??"  My response with a shocked face... "that's my sister!"  So it turns out that this girl I had been hanging out with all weekend was my sister's roommate from Russia!  Talk about a small world!  I love it.

The past two days have been absolutely insane.  And actually the hardest for me since starting this experience.  It has been so good.. but I am also realizing how draining it can become so easily.  We are constantly with new people all the time, who want to get to know you (which is wonderful!) - but that means you are telling people your life story all the time.  Then we leave that city/school and move on to the next.  In the meantime, I am trying to keep in touch with people we've met at our last locations, do my job at our present location, and contact people to get details finalized for our future locations.  It is proving to be quite the task.  

I'm still apologize for not being in touch as much as I'd like to.  It is hard to find time to sit down and write/call, but i miss you all so much and i hope that you are doing wonderful!  I would love to hear about your life, so please email me!  We leave Ft. Worth on Thursday and head to Abilene, Lubbock, and ODessa Tx.  Love to you all!

No comments: